Type approval for playground equipment
Playground equipment with the possibility of winning may only be set up if the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt has approved its design. The manufacturer of the playground equipment must apply for this type approval at the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt. The type approval is limited to 1 year.
If the design of the playground equipment is approved, the applicant receives an approval certificate. For each replica piece of the approved type, the applicant receives a certificate of approval The approval document contains the name of the playground equipment, the name and place of residence of the approval holder, the start and end of the installation period and information on regulations that must be observed during the operation of the playground equipment.
The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt announces the approval of a type as well as changes, revocation or withdrawal of approvals on its website.
The authorisation shall be withdrawn or revoked if:
- subsequent reasons for failure become known, or
- the applicant modifies approved play equipment to the characteristics specified in the registration certificate.
Who should I contact?
The requirements for the approval of play equipment are regulated in §§ 12, 13 and 14 of the Gaming Ordinance (SpielV). § 14 SpielV applies to merchandise play equipment, according to which some of the requirements apply, which must also be observed when approving gambling machines.
Which documents are required?
The application must be submitted in writing with the signature of the applicant to the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt.
The following documents must be attached to the application:
- Description of the playground equipment
- Construction plan of the playground equipment
- Operating instructions
- technical description of the components of the play equipment
- a sample device, this should be complete and functional and suitable for series production
- written declaration by the manufacturer that the play equipment to be tested fulfils the requirements laid down in § 12 paragraph 2 SpielV
Supplementary technical descriptions may be submitted in electronic form
At the request of the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt, further documents must be submitted. A detailed list and description of the documents can be found in Annex 2 of the Technical Guideline issued by the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt.
What are the fees?
The fees for admission depend on the processing time:
- Hourly rate: EUR 47,00 – 67,00
- for the issuance of a registration document including the registration mark as well as for the exchange: EUR 15.00
- in addition, expenses (e.g. for copies) and expenses arising from requested supplementary work must be reimbursed
The processing time from the submission of the application to the decision depends on:
- the quality of the documents submitted and the type type,
- the need for change identified during the test, and
of the number of applications to be processed
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy
Professionally released on