Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for approval from a control body for organic farming

Before a product can be marketed as an organic food, it must be checked whether its production meets the requirements. For this purpose, a system with privately approved inspection bodies has been established in Germany.
You must apply for approval for a control body at the Federal Institute for Agriculture and Food (BLE). The approval is valid for the entire territory of Germany, but can be limited to individual federal states.
The BLE may provide the authorisation with time limits, conditions and obligations or a reservation of revocation. In addition, it can subsequently change or re-include conditions.
The organic control bodies are monitored by the control authorities responsible for organic farming in the federal states in which the respective control body has its registered office.

Process flow

The Federal Institute for Agriculture and Food is responsible for the approval of your inspection body.

  • Submit the fully completed application together with the required attachments by post to the BLE.
    • You will receive the application documents on oral or written request from the BLE.
  • The BLE examines the application in accordance with the legal requirements.

Testing and approval may include, depending on the application of the control body, one or all of the following control areas:

  • Control area A:
    • Agricultural production
    • Agricultural production - Beekeeping
    • Agricultural production - Seaweed and aquaculture
  • Control area B: Production of processed foods
  • Control area C: Trade with third countries (imports)
  • Control area D: Award to third parties
  • Control area E: Production of feedingstuffs

Before approval, the competent authority carries out an on-site inspection of the business premises.

After successfully completing the audit and payment of the fees, your control body can start operations.

Who should I contact?

Federal Institute for Agriculture and Food
Deichmanns Aue 29
D-53179 Bonn
Phone: +49 228 9968450
Fax: +49 228 68453101

Find your Point of Single Contact here


  • Accreditation
  • Quality
  • a sufficient number of qualified control body personnel. The specific requirements are regulated in the admission regulations.
  • Standard control program for each control area requested
  • procedures laid down in writing, inter alia, for the implementation of the
    • Control
    • Assessment and certification
    • Documentation of control results
    • Sanctioning
    • Risk analysis
    • Sampling and charging
  • financial, professional and personnel independence
  • Sufficient insurance cover for all possible damage matters within the scope of the inspection

Which documents are required?

  • Evidence proving that you meet the requirements. You can apply for the application documents and further information at the BLE.

What are the fees?

There are costs. These depend on the processing effort. The maximum fee is currently EUR 9780.00.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

You do not have to meet any deadlines.

Processing duration

Application review: maximum 3 months.
The period begins when the documents are complete.

Applications / forms

Forms: yes

Online procedure possible: no

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance required: no


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture

Professionally released on


Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Linie6PLus)

Further Links

Single points of contact of the state of Lower Saxony, Single points of contact of the countries of Europe, advice and assistance for EU citizens and their families.