Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Commercial Animal Husbandry Permit

If you are a commercial

  • wish to breed or keep vertebrate animals, other than farm animals and wild animals;
  • want to trade vertebrate animals,
  • would like to maintain a riding or driving business,
  • want to display animals (no circuses or wandering animal shows),
  • want to control vertebrates as pests, or
  • train dogs for third parties or instruct the training of the dogs by the pet owner,

you need a permit from the competent authority before taking up the activity.

Depending on the scope and examination effort, the granting of permission can take up to four months after the application has been submitted. In serious cases, this period may be extended by up to two months. Therefore, plan enough time for the granting of permission before starting your activity.

Process flow

After you have submitted the application for a permit and, if necessary, other documents, your information will be checked for completeness and plausibility. Subsequently, your premises will be inspected by the official veterinary service and, if necessary, an expert meeting. After that, you will receive permission to keep animals on a commercial basis.

Who should I contact?

In Lower Saxony, the responsibility lies with the veterinary offices of the districts, the Hanover region and the independent cities as well as with the Zweckverband Veterinäramt Jade-Weser.

Which documents are required?

  • Please inquire at the competent authority about application forms for a permit and what other documents must be submitted
  • If applicable, certificates of competence for certain activities
  • If applicable, certificate of good conduct
  • If applicable, a sketch of the housing facilities

What are the fees?

Fee: 25,00 - 1000,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Please note that you may only start your activity after receiving the permit and the processing time can take up to 4 months (in exceptional cases up to 6 months).

Processing duration

  • Usually no more than 4 months
  • In exceptional cases, the processing time may be extended


An action against this decision may be lodged with the competent administrative court within one month of notification. Either in writing, by submitting an electronic document or on the record of the clerk of the registry.

What else should I know?

Anyone who carries out the aforementioned activities independently, according to plan, continued and with the intention of making a profit is considered to be a commercial person.

As a rule, the conditions for commercial breeding are fulfilled if a holding unit reaches the following size or volumes:

  • Dogs: 3 or more reproductive or 3 or more litters per year,
  • Cats: 5 or more reproductive cats or 5 or more litters per year,
  • rabbits, chinchillas: more than 100 young animals as pets per year,
  • guinea pigs: more than 100 young animals per year,
  • mice, hamsters, rats, gerbils: more than 300 young animals per year,
  • Reptiles: more than 100 cubs per year, in turtles: more than 50 cubs per year.

Commercial breeding usually occurs when young birds are regularly sold and

  • more than 25 breeding pairs of bird species up to and including cockatiel size,
  • more than 10 breeding pairs of bird species larger than cockatiels (exception: cockatoo and macaw: 5 breeding pairs)

or, in the case of other pets, a sales revenue of more than 2045.17 euros per year is to be expected.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Linie6PLus)