Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Providing a service as a draftsman Reporting for the first time

In the case of temporary and occasional service as a draftsman, foreign nationals are entitled to submit building documents if they meet the requirements.

The temporary and occasional nature of the provision of services shall be assessed, in particular, on the basis of the duration, frequency, regularity and continuity of services. The persons who meet the requirements must notify the competent authority in writing in advance of the first provision of a service as a draft author in Lower Saxony. If prior notification is not possible due to the urgency of action, the notification must be made immediately.

The competent authority may prohibit the draftsman from acting if the above-mentioned conditions are not met.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the Lower Saxony Chamber of Engineers.

This procedure can also be handled by a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by the municipalities and the state for service providers.


  • National
    • of a Member State of the European Union,
    • another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, or
    • a state in respect of which the Member States of the European Union are obliged under treaty law to treat its nationals equally with regard to the recognition of professional qualifications,
    • without residence in Germany or a professional establishment
  • are entitled to submit building documents in the case of temporary and occasional services as a design author if they
    • are legally established in one of these States for the provision of design services
    • are entitled to use the professional title "engineer" on the basis of a degree in civil engineering and
    • where neither the profession nor the training for the profession is regulated in the State of establishment, have pursued the profession there for two years during the previous ten years.
  • The same applies to nationals of third countries, insofar as these nationals are to be treated in the same way as nationals under European Union law on account of personal characteristics with regard to the freedom to provide services or the recognition of professional qualifications.

Which documents are required?

  • certificate of legal establishment for the provision of drafting services in the other state and of the fact that the exercise of the profession is not prohibited,
  • Proof of professional qualifications; in the event that neither the profession nor training for the profession is regulated in the other state,
  • Proof that the profession has been practiced in countries other than Germany for at least one year during the past ten years

What are the fees?

There are no fees.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

What else should I know?

Upon request, the competent authority shall confirm that the notification has been made. Significant changes in the certified circumstances must be reported immediately by the draftsman and, upon request, must be proven by appropriate documents.

Anyone who has already registered in another federal state and is therefore allowed to work there as a draft author is not subject to the reporting obligation.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Health and Equality

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)