Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Temporary practice of the veterinary profession without a license to practice medicine: permission

Anyone who has completed training as a veterinarian from a non-EU member state, but does not have a license to practice medicine, and only wants to practice the veterinary profession temporarily, needs a permit.

The permit entitles the holder to use the professional title "veterinarian" or "veterinarian".

The permit may be limited to certain activities and places of employment. It may only be granted or extended on a revocable basis and only up to a total duration of veterinary activity not exceeding four years. A further granting or extension of the permit is possible according to the requirements of the Federal Veterinary Regulations (BTÄO).

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the Lower Saxony Chamber of Veterinarians.

This procedure can also be handled by a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by the municipalities and the state for service providers.

Which documents are required?

Documents may be required. Please contact the competent authority.

What are the fees?

Fees are charged in accordance with the scale of fees for administration in the field of consumer protection and veterinary affairs (GOVV).

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The application must be submitted and approved before the veterinary activity.

Processing duration

Processing Time: 3 Months

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Consumer Protection and Regional Development

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)