Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Licence to operate a shooting range: Licence to operate a shooting range

If you want to operate a stationary facility that is used for shooting sports or other shooting exercises with firearms, the testing of firearms or shooting with firearms for amusement (shooting range), or if you want to significantly change its nature or the way it is used, you need a permit from the responsible weapons authority.

No licence is required for shooting ranges where shooting is carried out indoors exclusively for the purpose of testing firearms or ammunition by weapons or ammunition manufacturers, by weapons or ammunition experts or by scientific institutions.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the county, the independent city, the large independent city and the independent municipality.

This procedure can also be carried out through a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by the municipalities and the state for service providers.


The applicant will need:

  • the required reliability, and
  • possesses personal suitability, and
  • provides proof of insurance against liability as well as against accidents related to the operation of the shooting range.
  • Building and immission control permits for the construction of the shooting range
  • Expert opinion and acceptance by a shooting range expert

Which documents are required?

  • Certificate of competence
  • Proof of Reliability
  • Unlimited information from the Federal Central Register (§ 5 para. 5 no. 1 of the Weapons Act (WaffG))
  • Statement of the local police station (§ 5 para. 5 no. 3 WaffG)
  • Proof of need, if applicable
  • Proof of suitability
  • Proof of liability
  • Proof of accident insurance
  • If necessary, building permit and corresponding acceptance
  • If necessary, permits or orders in accordance with building or immission control regulations

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

In the case of fixed or mobile shooting ranges, a permit is required before commencement of use.

If a licence has been granted for a shooting club and the reliability and suitability of a responsible person has been proven, after this person is no longer a member of the club, the club must report the person's resignation to the competent authority and appoint a new responsible person within two weeks and prove his or her reliability and suitability.


You can find out about possible legal recourse from the responsible weapons authority.

Supporting institutions

  • Federal Central Register
  • Prosecution
  • Police station
  • Expert for shooting ranges
  • Building Regulations/Immission Control Authority
  • Foreigners' Registration Office, if applicable

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Transport

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)