Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Commercial keeping, breeding, display, use or trade of animals: Authorisation

A permit is required for commercial keeping, breeding, display, use of animals and trade in animals.

The permit may be granted, insofar as it is necessary for the protection of the animals, subject to time limits, conditions and obligations.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, the Hanover region and the independent city as well as with the Zweckverband Veterinäramt Jade-Weser.

This procedure can also be handled by a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by the municipalities and the state for service providers.


  • The person responsible for the activity must have the knowledge and skills necessary for the activity by virtue of his or her training or previous or other handling of animals. Proof of this must be provided on request in an expert discussion with the competent authority.
  • The person responsible for the activity must have the necessary reliability.
  • The rooms and facilities used for the activity must enable the animals to be fed, cared for and accommodated in accordance with legal requirements.

Which documents are required?

No documents are required.

What are the fees?

Fees are charged in accordance with the annex to §1 of the Schedule of Fees for Administration in the Field of Consumer Protection and Veterinary Affairs (GOVV) in accordance with Section V1.1.8.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines to be observed. However, the activity may only be started if a valid permit has been obtained.

Processing duration

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)