Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for weapon manufacturing license

For the commercial or independent manufacture, processing or repair of firearms or ammunition, you require a firearms manufacturing license. You can obtain this from the firearms authority responsible for your place of business. It can be limited to certain types of firearms and ammunition.

The permit is only issued for a natural person (sole proprietorship). In the case of legal entities, the responsible managing director or the personally liable partner each require their own permit.

If the firearms manufacturing business is to be operated by a deputy or if a person is to be entrusted with the management of a branch or dependent branch, then you will require a deputy permit for this. You must also apply for this permit from the relevant firearms authority. Deputies receive this permit under the same conditions.

These requirements include, among others, proof of

  • the age of majority,
  • reliability,
  • personal suitability and
  • professional competence.

Your permit loses its validity if you have not started the activity within one year after the granted permit or if you have not exercised it for one year. The deadlines may be extended for special reasons.

Process flow

You must apply for a weapon manufacturing permit in writing. The application must be submitted together with the required documents to the weapons authority responsible for the place of business.

If you need a substitute during your absence, you must apply for a substitution permit for this person.

As a rule, it is necessary for the applicant and the designated deputy to appear in person.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, the independent city, the large independent city and the independent municipality.

This procedure can also be carried out through a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by the municipalities and the state for service providers.

Find your Point of Single Contact here


  • You are at least 18 years old.
  • They have the necessary reliability.
    Above all, the required reliability requires that you do not have a criminal record.
  • You have the personal suitability.
    For example, those persons who have a reasonable suspicion that they are legally incapable, addicted to alcohol or mentally ill do not possess the required personal suitability.
  • You have the necessary expertise.
    You can obtain the necessary proof of specialist knowledge of the most important firearms and shooting regulations, the type, design and handling of common firearms and ammunition by taking an examination. The specialist knowledge is considered to be available if you meet the requirements for the registration of a gunsmith's business in the register of craftsmen.
  • They prove the need for the issuance of a weapon manufacturing license.
  • You would like to manufacture weapons commercially or independently as part of an economic enterprise.
  • Deputies must meet the same requirements as you.

    The permit can be refused if you are not a German citizen within the meaning of Article 116 of the Basic Law or if you do not have your habitual residence or a commercial establishment in Germany.

Which documents are required?

  • Identity card or passport
  • Proof of expertise (for persons who manage the business, a branch office or a dependent branch themselves)
  • Business Registration
  • in the case of handicraft operation: Proof of entry in the register of craftsmen
  • Non-EU citizens: a residence permit entitling the holder to pursue self-employment
  • Proof of need for the issuance of the firearms permit
  • Proof of the safe storage of weapons and ammunition by means of appropriate certificates or safety-related assessments

Section 26 (2) of the Insolvency Code (Insolvency Code)
Section 882b of the Code of Civil Procedure (ZPO)

What are the fees?

The exact costs can be communicated to you by the responsible firearms authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The licence expires if the licence holder has not commenced the activity within one year of the licence being issued or has not carried out it for one year. The deadlines may be extended for special reasons.

The licence holder must notify the competent authority within two weeks of the commencement and cessation of operations as well as the opening and closure of a branch or a dependent branch.

Applications / forms

Application forms are available from the competent authority.


Please contact the competent authority for information on legal remedies.

What else should I know?

There are no clues or specifics.

In the case of gunsmiths and bookmakers registered in the register of craftsmen, the licence to manufacture weapons includes a licence to trade in weapons.


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)