Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Itinerant trade permit

You operate a travelling business if you offer goods for sale commercially without prior order (appointment) and operate outside your commercial establishment (§ 4 Abs. 3 GewO) or without owning one. The same applies if you visit (sell) orders for goods or buy goods, offer services or visit orders for services or carry out entertaining activities as a showman or by fairground style.

Process flow

You can apply for the itinerant trade card at your municipality or city administration/trade office. To do this, please contact the municipality or city administration in which you have your habitual residence or in which the future company will have its headquarters.

Who should I contact?

  • The contact person is the trade office at your municipality or city administration in which you have your habitual residence or where the future company will have its registered office.


  • The issuance of the itinerant trade card requires reliability of the applicant in the sense of trade law.

Which documents are required?

  • Identity card or passport with registration certificate from the commune of residence
  • Certificate of good conduct for submission to authorities from the registration office of the main residence
  • Central Trade Register extract from the registration office of the main residence
  • Certificate in tax matters issued by the competent tax office
  • In the case of legal persons, a certificate in tax matters issued by the tax office also for these
  • If applicable, excerpt from the commercial register from the country in which the main registered office is located (only for legal entities)
  • If applicable, translation of the commercial register excerpt (only for foreign legal entities)

What are the fees?

Depends on the respective administrative fee regulations of the Land or on the fee statutes of the competent authorities under Land law.

Emission: 377,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The activity may only be started when the itinerant trade card has been issued.

Processing duration

Approx. 1 – 3 weeks, when all documents are complete.

Legal basis

  • §§ 55, 55a, 55b, 55f of the Industrial Code (GewO) in conjunction with the Showmen's Liability Ordinance (SchauHV), 57 Abs. 2 und 3, 60b GewO

Applications / forms

  • Each city/municipality has different forms that you can have sent to you in advance
  • Written form required: no
  • Personal appearance at the time of application on site: no
  • Online procedure possible: yes


In Lower Saxony, preliminary proceedings are not provided for by § 80 Nds. Therefore, no objection is admissible. Rather, an action must be brought directly before the administrative courts.

What else should I know?

In some cases, you may also need to provide additional documents or evidence. Please clarify this with your competent authority.

In the case of legal entities (GmbH, corporate companies, AG, registered cooperatives), the application form must only be completed for the legal entity itself. All personal documents must be obtained for all natural persons authorised to manage the company (e.g. certificate of good conduct for submission to authorities) or submitted (e.g. personal documents).

In the case of partnerships that are not eligible for permission as such (GbR, KG, OHG, PartG, GmbH & Co. KG), each managing partner requires a permit (itinerant trade card), so that an application form and all personal documents are required for everyone.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)