Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Register food establishments

Food establishments are required to register and report any significant changes in work technology procedures or alterations. This applies to any facility you manage or operate. It does not matter if it is processing, producing or distributing food. Food businesses are any business that produces, processes, markets directly or over the internet, transports, etc. food and whether or not it is for profit.

Food businesses are, for example:

  • Establishments that produce food or food supplements The food is only marginally included in the product range, such as gas stations, pharmacies, drugstores and fitness studios.
  • Schools, kindergartens, old people's homes, club houses that regularly serve food (canteens, kitchens, canteens)
  • food vending machine operators
  • bakeries, cafés, ice cream parlors, confectioneries, kiosks, snack bars, mini-markets
  • Producers of food of animal origin
  • fishing, crustacean, shellfish and mollusk businesses
  • Restaurants
  • wholesalers, transporters, importers and exporters of food products
  • farms and winegrowers
  • farms for raising or keeping food-producing animals
  • food brokers (for example, via the Internet)
  • milk treatment and processing plants
  • mobile food trade including sales vehicles
  • primary producers of plant foods, such as fruits, vegetables, grains, herbs
  • businesses that distribute food free of charge, such as food banks
  • Events with catering, Party service and catering
  • Entrepreneurs who offer food on the Internet. It does not matter whether they offer the food
    • on their own homepage,
    • via other suppliers or
    • on marketplaces such as eBay or Amazon.

Process flow

  • Use the form that may be available and send it to the competent food control authority.
  • In any case, the required information on the food establishment must be available for registration before the start of activities; in case of doubt, send the required information in writing to the competent food supervisory authority
  • The competent food control authority records the establishment data.
  • If there are any changes, in particular in the work-technological process, or conversions, to the information or data already recorded, or if you wish to deregister your food establishment, please also contact the competent food supervisory authority.

Who should I contact?

Food Control Authority

Competent authority

The responsible food control authorities in Lower Saxony are the districts, the Hanover region and the independent cities as well as the Jade-Weser Veterinary Office Association.


  • You have a business that produces, processes or distributes food.
  • You have not yet started operations or there have been changes in the work-technological process or conversions to the information or data already recorded or you wish to deregister your food business.

Which documents are required?

  • Application for registration: with form or informally
  • Information about the name, address and legal form of the food enterprise
  • legal form, name and address of the establishment belonging to the enterprise
    • to be indicated separately for each establishment
  • information about the activity and the type of business
    • to be indicated separately for each establishment

What are the fees?

Fee: free of charge

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

  • The data and information on registration must be reported before the start of the activity.
  • Significant changes in the work-technological process or conversions must be reported immediately.

Applications / forms

  • Forms: no
  • Written form required: yes
  • On-site personal appearance for application: no
  • Online service: no

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)