Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Authorisation for insurance intermediaries Exemption

Product-accessory insurance intermediaries may, upon application, be exempted from the authorisation requirement.
Natural and legal persons (e.g. GmbHs) can apply for exemption from permission. Partnerships require a separate exemption from permission for each managing partner.

Product-accessory insurance intermediaries who are exempt from the licensing requirement must nevertheless register and register in the intermediary register.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK), in whose district the business has its registered office.

This procedure can also be carried out through a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by municipalities and the state for service providers.


  • Insurance is only brokered in addition to other products and services.
    • Example: A car dealer also arranges car insurance when selling cars.
  • The activity as an insurance intermediary takes place directly
    • on behalf of one or more insurance intermediaries with permission, or
    • on behalf of one or more insurance undertakings.
  • Proof of financial loss liability insurance with the following requirements:
    • The minimum sum insured is 1.13 million euros per insured event or 1.7 million euros for all insured events per year.
    • The insurance is valid in all member states of the European Union (EU) as well as in the EEA states.
  • The client submits a declaration about:
    • personal reliability,
    • the qualification and
    • the orderly financial circumstances of the insurance intermediary.

Which documents are required?

  • completed application form
  • Copy of identity card or comparable identification document
  • for proof of entrepreneurial legal form:
    • Company headquarters in Germany:
      • for companies entered in a register: extract from the commercial register or the partnership register
      • otherwise a copy of the articles of association (e.g. in the case of a civil-law partnership (GbR))
    • Company headquarters abroad:
      • Documents from the home country proving the legal form
  • Declaration by the client on the personal reliability, qualifications and orderly financial circumstances of the insurance intermediary/
  • Proof of the existence of financial loss liability insurance (certificate from an insurance company licensed in Germany)

In the case of legal entities (GmbH, corporate companies, AG, registered cooperatives), the application form only needs to be completed for the legal entity. All personal documents must be submitted for all natural persons authorised to manage the company (e.g. personal documents). An extract from the Central Trade Register is also required for the legal entity.

Partnerships (GbR, KG, OHG, PartG, GmbH & Co. KG) are not eligible for permission as such. Therefore, every managing partner requires permission. For each of these persons, a completed application form and all personal documents must be submitted.

What are the fees?

Fees are payable in accordance with the fee regulations of the competent authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines to be observed. However, the activity may not be commenced until the exemption has been granted.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Transport

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)