Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Register of craftsmen Registration by granting an exemption according to § 8 HwO

If the applicant or the plant manager has not passed a master craftsman's examination, but has the knowledge and skills of a master craftsman, then under certain circumstances an entry in the register of craftsmen can be achieved via an exemption permit according to § 8 Handwerksordnung (HwO). In addition, a right to exercise under § 7b HwO could be considered.

The competent authority may grant the derogation subject to conditions, conditions or for a limited period and limited to a substantial part.

For more information:

  • Register of craftsmen: Granting - exemption according to § 9 Abs. 1 HwO

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the Chamber of Crafts, in whose district the (future) permanent establishment is located.  

This procedure can also be carried out through a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by municipalities and the state for service providers.


  • the applicant or the farm manager
    • has not passed a master craftsman's examination, but has the knowledge and skills of a master craftsman
    • has a recognised reason for exception in addition to the professional qualification to run a craft business by proving the necessary knowledge and skills
      • An exception exists if it would be an unreasonable burden at the time of application or thereafter to take the master craftsman's examination.
    • is a natural person
  • Citizens from the states of the European Community and the European Economic Area as well as Switzerland
    • Professional qualification was not acquired in Germany, but in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland
    • Compliance with the requirements of the EU/EEA Crafts Regulation (EU-EEA HwV) issued on the basis of § 9 Handwerksordnung (HwO)

Which documents are required?

  • Proof of vocational training and previous professional activity.
  • Photocopies of certificates and proof of employment
  • Information on the business that you would like to run as owner, partner or manager
  • Naming of the reason for the exception (e.g. advanced age, favourable opportunity to take over the business, impending unemployment, etc.)

What are the fees?

Fees are charged in accordance with the scale of fees of the competent authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

What else should I know?

The application principle applies, so that the procedure requires an application to the competent authority.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Transport

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)