Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Permit for the transfer of firearms and ammunition

Permission for the cross-border transfer of firearms or ammunition to the area of application of the Weapons Act, to other Member States of the European Union or to Switzerland is issued by the competent authority.

The competent authority may only issue the relevant transfer permit if the competent authority of the recipient State has given its prior consent, i.e. if an import permit has been issued by that State.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the county, the independent city, the large independent city and the independent municipality.

This procedure can also be carried out through a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by the municipalities and the state for service providers.


  • The recipient is entitled to purchase or possess these weapons or ammunition.
  • Safe transport by a person authorised to purchase or possess these weapons or ammunition is ensured.
  • If firearms or ammunition are to be brought into Germany from another Member State of the European Union, the permit is granted as consent to the permission of the other Member State for the transfer in question.
  • If the place of destination is another Member State of the European Union, the consent of the Member State of the European Union is also required.

Which documents are required?

  • Arms Trade Permit or Weapon Manufacturing License
  • Proof of safe transport (cf. No. 31.2 in conjunction with 29.3 General Administrative Regulation to the Weapons Act (WaffVwV))
  • The applicant must provide the following information:
    • name and address of the company,
    • telephone or fax number,
    • First and last names,
    • Place and date of birth of the holder of the permit pursuant to Section 21 (1) of the Weapons Act (WaffG)
    • Beneficiary Member State
    • Type of weapons and ammunition

In the case of the transport of firearms or ammunition within the European Union to an arms dealer in another Member State by or on behalf of a holder of the licence pursuant to Section 31 (2) of the Weapons Act, a declaration referring to this licence may be carried instead of the licence pursuant to paragraph 1. The declaration must be made on the official form provided for this purpose and must contain the following information:

  • the designation of the consignor and consignee Member States, the countries of transit, the mode of transport and the carrier
  • about the consignor, the person obliged to make the declaration and the recipient:
    • Name and address of the company, telephone or fax number
  • on the permit pursuant to Section 31 (2) of the Weapons Act:
    • Date and number of issue, issuing authority and period of validity
  • on the prior consent of the other Member State or exemption from prior consent:
    • date of issue and issuing authority, indication of weapons; a duplicate of prior consent or exemption must be attached to the declaration
  • About the weapons:
    • in the case of firearms: number and type of weapons, category according to Annex 1 Section 3 of the Weapons Act, company name or registered trademark of the manufacturer, model name, calibre, production number and, if applicable, C.I.P. bullet marks
    • for other weapons: number and type of weapons
  • About the ammunition:
    • Number and type of ammunition, category under Directive (EEC) No 93/15 on the harmonisation of the provisions relating to the placing on the market and control of explosives intended for civil uses. L 121 p. 20), the manufacturer's name or registered trademark, calibre and, where applicable, C.I.P. ammunition test mark;
  • via the delivery address:
    • a precise indication of the place to which the weapons or ammunition will be dispatched or transported.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines to be observed.

What else should I know?

Special conditions apply to the personal carriage of weapons, e.g. as a sports shooter.

In certain cases, there are obligations to report to the Federal Criminal Police Office in accordance with Section 34 of the Weapons Act (WaffG).

Before transferring weapons to another country, it makes sense to find out in advance about the weapons regulations applicable there. The respective embassies or consulates are available for this purpose. Regardless of the weapons regulations, the customs regulations must also be observed.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Transport

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)