Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Application for state recognition (notification) as an investigation body (testing laboratories, sampling bodies) for monitoring under water and waste law: Application in accordance with the Ordinance on Requirements for the Discharge of Wastewater into Water Bodies (AbwV) and the Landfill Ordinance (DepV)

Anyone who has state recognition may be appointed as an investigation body within the framework of water and waste law monitoring. You must submit the application to the competent authority in the federal state in which you have your place of business. This also applies if you maintain several dependent locations nationwide. If your federal state does not offer a notification procedure, you can submit the application in the federal state where you intend to take action. The notification granted is valid for the entire federal territory.

If it is an investigative body from another member state of the European Union that does not have its registered office in Germany, you can apply for notification in the federal state in which you want to operate.

Process flow

You submit an application to the authority of the country in which you have your head office for notification as an investigation body for sewage, surface water, groundwater testing or sampling. Attach the required documents. If necessary, the authority will request further application documents. After examination by the competent authority, you will receive a written notification as to whether the notification as an investigating body has been made. The authority may make the notification subject to a reservation of revocation, a time limit, conditions, obligations and the reservation of obligations.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the Lower Saxony State Agency for Water Management, Coastal Protection and Nature Conservation (NLWKN).


You have the necessary expertise, independence, technical equipment and you maintain a quality management system according to DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025.

The requirements according to the water module for the administrative agreement on the proof of competence and the notification of testing laboratories and measuring points (testing bodies) in the environmental sector regulated by waste law have been met.

You have a valid DAkkS accreditation for the sub-areas you want to apply for notification.

You have submitted the application in the country where you have your headquarters. If they are abroad, submit the application in the country in which you want to pursue this activity as a matter of priority.

Which documents are required?

The application for notification must be submitted to the competent Land authority. The application documents will be made available digitally.

For the notification of the requested areas of investigation, a competence assessment according to DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025 is required. Proof of competence is provided by a module-compliant accreditation from the German Accreditation Body (DAkkS).

The following documents from DAkkS are required:

  • Letter of accreditation and certificate of accreditation
  • Creation of deeds
  • Reports on the last review
  • At the request of the authority, the deviation reports and other documents

What are the fees?

The amount of the fees will be determined in the course of the procedure on the basis of your information and the associated effort.

Administrative fee in accordance with the Ordinance on Fees and Expenses for Official Acts and Services (AllGO) (see point 96.4 Ordinance on State-Recognised Inspection Bodies for Water and Waste Monitoring)

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The application must be approved before the start of the monitoring activity.

Processing duration

The examination of the application for notification to an investigating body must be completed within three months; Section 42a (2) sentences 2 to 4 of the Administrative Procedure Act (Verwaltungsverfahrensgesetz, VwVfG) shall apply.

Applications / forms

Forms/online services available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: No


You will receive a notification from the competent state authority. If the notification cannot be given, you can file an objection.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony State Agency for Water Management, Coastal Protection and Nature Conservation

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)