Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Register of craftsmen Registration of equivalent examinations

For the independent operation of a craft subject to approval of Annex A to § 1 paragraph 2 of the Crafts Code (HwO) as a standing trade, an entry in the register of craftsmen is required. You or your plant manager can work as a

  • Diplom-Ingenieurin/Diplom-Ingenieur or Ingenieurin/Ingenieur
  • Graduate of a technical university or a state-approved technical college for technology and design

be entered with the craft subject to approval in the register of craftsmen, which corresponds to the study or school focus.

The same applies to citizens of the EU, EEA or Switzerland who have obtained a comparable university degree in the EU, EEA or Switzerland; other professional qualifications are taken into account via § 9 HwO in conjunction with the EU/EEA Crafts Regulation (EU/EEA HwV). Furthermore, registration can be made if a German state or state-recognised examination equivalent to the master craftsman's examination is available (e.g. industrial foreman).

The competent authority shall assess whether the conditions for registration are fulfilled. The decision on registration shall also be taken by the competent authority.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the Chamber of Crafts (HWK), in whose district your future (permanent establishment) is located.  

This procedure can also be carried out through a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by municipalities and the state for service providers.

Which documents are required?

  • University certificate or technical school certificate from a state or state-recognised technical school

What are the fees?

Fees are charged in accordance with the scale of fees of the competent authority. Please contact the competent authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

Applications / forms

Applications and forms can be requested from the competent authority.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Labour, Economic Affairs and Transport

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)